Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A first look once more


Three years ago, I came to Japan on a two week long vacation with my family. It had been a dream of mine to go, and finally it came true. I was thrilled and amazed to see everything I had learned about through Japanese language classes, TV, anime, manga, and Japanese friends come to life before my very eyes. At the end of our trip, I was glad to go back home, but at the same time a part of me was torn to leave so soon. From then on I was determined to return one day.
This time, I returned well prepared for what to expect and excited to be among the Japanese people again. In fact, I could hardly wait to relive the experience. Some of the first memory provokers I encountered were the automated Japanese voices that can be heard over the intercom in the airport, stations, public transportation, and stores. I recalled hearing those voices in many places before. Then, riding a bus towards the seminar houses in which many study abroad students live, I caught a glimpse of the very unique landscape of Japan. In on area, you might see small homes, perhaps some that are apartment style, rising fairly high and packed closely together with narrow streets. But despite having little space and no lawns, many homes also have small, beautiful gardens. You might also find a few rice fields and a very historic looking temple mixed in among the skyscrapers.
It all seems to give a visual image of the Japanese society. The tightly packed structures seem to reflect the Japanese strong sense of togetherness in a community. The small tranquil gardens withing the walls around homes portray that even though the Japanese people are highly involved in their communities, they still appreciate the privacy of the home and the peacefulness of nature. In addition, the mix of skyscrapers, rice fields, and historic temples expresses how the Japanese society has a role in the modern trends of the world while still keeping in touch with their history and cultural identity. I never cease to be amazed by the culture's unique beauty.
The neighborhood around my seminar house has a similar feel. On the way to the university, you can walk down a side street that takes you down a road so narrow that, despite being a two-way road, I don't believe two cars could actually pass each other. On top of that, many locals and foreigners alike will walk or ride bikes and mopeds on the same road. It can be a little unnerving when a car attempts to pass you from behind. I was surprised when this afternoon I was riding my bike as comfortably close to the wall on the side of the road as I could, and the car that passed me was still so close that I probably could have kicked out my leg and hit it. Thankfully, because the roads are so narrow and buildings are tall enough to inhibit visibility, they do provide large concave mirrors to enable you to see someone who may be coming from around the corner.

4 comments:

  1. Those are some nice pictures. I like the one on the bottom a lot. ^.^ I'm glad you got a chance to go back and learn even more about the Japanese culture and language. I can't wait to see and hear more! Love you!

    Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see the pictures. They bring back memories. I'm glad you are doing this blog. It give us back home to see and read about what you are doing while you are in Japan. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some very nice pictures here. And you are off to a very energetic start. I appreciate your enthusiasm and look forward to your future posts.

    Please enable anonymous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As stated before, pictures are looking great! Even without pictures, you paint a marvelous image of your surroundings with your words. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete